One of the most important things the nurse can do for the patient is establish a meaningful relationship. Most patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia will live for many years, and they will truly benefit from having a familiar face to talk to about problems and issues that arise. As a nurse, take the time to get to know your patient and their life outside of the hospital. The patient's lifestyle and home situation will also have a great impact on what type of care and treatment the patient will want, so getting to know them will help the nurse be a better advocate for the patient down the road.
Here are a few more suggestions of things the nurse can do. There are many, many ways to care for leukemia patients, so this is just a starting point. This brief summary touches upon all the primary areas of nursing care to focus on, and can be elaborated on.
This nursing care information was obtained from NursesLabs (link below in references) and I found their collection of nursing information to be quite comprehensive. I worked at a cancer facility before entering nursing school, so I am familiar with the patients and their day-to-day struggles. Now that I am closing in on finishing nursing school, I understand how to think like a nurse and can combine those skills with my past experience. I thought NursesLabs covered everything when it comes to caring for cancer patients!
References:
Five Leukemia Nursing Care Plans. 2014. Retrieved April 4, 2015 from http://nurseslabs.com/5-leukemia-nursing-care-plans/
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment